hello christmas :* - Only Deco

Hot

My Blog List

Friday 5 December 2014

hello christmas :*

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine
I love handmade ornaments and I’ve waited a whole year to share these little firs. It started with an email from my mom last fall after she returned from a local gardening shop she and her husband frequent. The link was to a darling multicolored felt stack Christmas tree pair, something for the mantel, cute as all get out. I don’t have the link anymore (a year is a long time!) so you’ll have to take my word for it – they were darling. Of course, I had to make them. With a few tweaks.
For my version, instead of mantel-size, I condensed their shape into ornament size and fiddled with the measurements until it looked just right. When completed, they stand 4.5″ tall and at their widest are 2.5″. While I am an equal-opportunity color lover, a white, cream and oatmeal color worked best for my decor, with a little gold topper to finish them off.
Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine
The final product is soft and cozy and perfect for to hang anywhere. Here’s how to make them:
Supplies:
-felt, colors are up to you
-a strip of felt, 1/2 inch wide by 2 1/2 inches long
-printable size guide
-embroidery thread (or regular thread)
-needle
-glue gun
-gold paint (to paint tree top square ‘star’)
First, cut all the felt squares, the amount and size according to the printable guide.
Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine
Then start stacking them up. Begin with the bottom (4 – 1 3/4″) and stack through to the top (6 – 1/2″). I arranged my colors so none of the same were next to each other but again, that part is up to you. Run a needle and thread through the center of each of the stacks until all are strung.
Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine
Add a dot of glue to the brown piece of felt and wrap it around the thread and itself, adding another dot of glue to keep the strip in place.
Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine
To finish up, add a dot of glue to one of the two star squares and sandwich them together, making sure to secure the end of the thread in between the pieces. This step not only holds the stack in place but is where the hanging loop is created. Then arrange the felt pieces, off setting the pieces from each other.
Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine
Then hang them and smile at their adorableness.
Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

No comments:

Post a Comment